Re: Emacs addon packages--compile upon install?

"Davide G. M. Salvetti" <salve@debian.org> writes:

> As one of the Emacs add-on package maintainers (Eapm) I strongly
> object to switch back to the model that w3 apparently implements now
> (aka the old model), for the very reasons you restated above.

Well don't worry, I'm not likely to change anything without a
substantial debate, but I am open to alternatives.  If we can think of
something better than what we've got now, great.

> By the way, as a side note, I'd like to suggest other Eapms to _not_
> display the results of byte-compilation on the console at installation
> time, redirecting them to some file instead: it's really annoying to
> see a very long list of probably useless warnings about free variables
> or functions not known to be defined.  However those results are
> useful things to have around on every machine (e.g. to ask the user to
> check them in case a bug is being investigated), so why don't put them
> somewhere they could be easily retrieved if needed?

I mentioned this in my last proposal, but didn't really receive much
feedback.  I could easily do the redirection from emacsen-common, but
then the add-on packages couldn't ask any questions even if they
needed to, so I'm not too happy with that approach.

There's also a "build-level" approach to reducing redundant compiles
in that same proposal, but no one's commented on that either...
That's OK, though.  I wouldn't have time to implement it soon anyway.