Re: Et voila! (was: Re: Slink not installable from CDs)

On 20-Oct-1998, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Juergen A. Erhard wrote:
>
> >     Jason> It would mirror the technique I plan to use in APT.
> >
> > Rethink your technique... yes, it's simpler from your POV, but a huge
> > PITA for the user.  Why not combine it?  Have a central list of
> > packages giving the medium, but let the user add CDs later on...
>
> You can't do that because there is no way to specify the CD ID. The CD
> needs to be seen at least once so that it's ID can be determined, recorded
> and associated with it's contents. I really don't think it's a big problem
> to ask once at the start for each CD to be popped in - this would happen
> one time ever, not once each time.

But you can use any label you like as a CD ID.
I'll append my proposal for this below -- I'm sure I've mailed it
to the list before, but I've never seen it arrive.

Debian GNU/Linux
Installation from Multi-Volume Removable Media.

To allow flexible installation from multi-volume removable media
the following scheme is proposed.  Note that although I will use
the term "CD" to refer to a particular data storage media, this
scheme is quite general, and can be applied to DVD, Zip disks,
removable hard drives or even floppies.

The scheme works by associating each CD with a name.
This name should correspond with the label on the front of the CD.
The name is available on the CD, so the system can find out which CD is in
the drive at any time.

One CD in any set contains a file in the root directory called "contents".
It is a text file containing the following fields:

    SetName: <name of the CD set>
    SetVendor: <name of the vendor who prepared the CD set (optional)>
    SetDescription:
     <multi line description of the CD set>
e.g.
    SetName: Debian 2.0r2 for x86
    SetVendor: FunkyLinux Productions
    SetDescription:
     FunkyLinux is proud to present the all singing all
     dancing Debian 2.0r2.
     .
     This CD set consists of the main Debian distribution
     and the non-US section.
     .
     We also include a section of software specifically for
     disco enthusiasts.  This is not in the default selection,
     but be sure to choose it if you want it.

This simply describes the name of the CD set, the vendor, and says
what is on it.  The user might be prompted with this information, and
asked whether they want to add all the suggested sets of packages to
their available packages list (see below for suggested sets).
Or the system can just store this information, or even ignore it
if it is not needed.

The rest of the fields are optional, but you would usually expect
one or more of:

    PackagesName: <name of a set of packages>
    PackagesMedia: <name of the media that these packages are found on>
    PackagesPath: <path from the media root to the packages directory>
    PackagesFileMedia: <name of the media that the packages file is on>
    PackagesFile: <path to the Packages file, relative to root>
    PackagesSuggested: <yes|no : whether it is the default to install
    	these packages>
    PackagesDescription:
     <multi line description of this set of packages>

    PackagesName: main
    PackagesMedia: Debian 2.0r2 CD 1
    PackagesPath: /debian
    PackagesFileMedia: Debian 2.0r2 CD 1
    PackagesFile: /debian/dists/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    PackagesSuggested: yes
    PackagesDescription:
     The main packages for Debian 2.0.  All this software meets the
     Debian Free Software Guidelines (see your manual for a definition
     of this term).
     .
     Unless you're sure you don't want it, you should probably add this
     package set to your available packages.

This describes the location of a group of packages.  Note that the
Packages.gz file can be on a different CD to the packages themselves,
if desired (it's probably useful to put them all on the first CD, to
make first time updates easier).  Users can also be prompted to
see if they actually own all the CDs -- if not, it would be reasonably
easy to ignore Packages files for packages that are stored on a
different CD.

The suggested field decides whether this is a "default" choice of
packages.  Specialized sets of packages could be "no" by default
(for example "math" or "hamradio") to stop users even having to worry
about them.  Again, users can be prompted, but it is not necessary.

You can have more than one of these.  The example above could be
immediately followed by:

    PackagesName: non-US
    PackagesMedia: Debian 2.0r2 CD 2
    PackagesPath: /debian-non-US
    PackagesFileMedia: Debian 2.0r2 CD 1
    PackagesFile: /extras/Packages-non-US.gz
    PackagesSuggested: no
    PackagesDescription:
     The non-US section.  These packages have export restrictions in
     some places.  See if you can guess where.

    PackagesName: disco
    PackagesMedia: Debian 2.0r2 Disco CD
    PackagesPath: /debian-disco
    PackagesFileMedia: Debian 2.0r2 CD 1
    PackagesFile: /disco/Packages.gz
    PackagesSuggested: yes
    PackagesDescription:
     Disco utilities.  A special feature of the "FunkyLinux"
     Debian distribution.

A blank line separates each Packages*: set.

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net