Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

--On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 7:01 pm -0500 "Rob Browning" <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
wrote:

> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:
>
>> It means that the sysadmin has to create /usr/local/doc, and, foreach
package,
>> create a subdirectory in it and uncompress the files in that
subdirectory?
>> Then, after each upgrade he has to do the same? After each removal, she
has to
>> remember to delete the subdirectory?
>
> I would expect that if a user is going to compile the examples, that
> they would "cp -a" the subdir to somewhere they have write access,
> most likely their home directory, and then do whatever they like.  I
> wouldn't expect the users to be building in /usr/local/doc.

I'm with Rob here.  /usr/doc is a conceptually read-only place.  If a user
runs as root, that's his business - but in general, I would expect people to
copy files to their home directories, or a temporary directory.

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |