Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Peter> I think I would have wasted my time coding this, as some have
> Peter> strongly objected to what they perceive as dpkg playing
> Peter> behind their back.
>
> 	I agree with you there. dpkg, or any other program, should not
>  second guess the human this way.

You know very well _I_ don't agree with this.  :-)
I only said that _some_ have strongly objected... namely you!

Of course I think it's a good idea!

>  Peter> But perhaps coding an '--handle-uncompressed-docs' that is
>  Peter> disabled by default would be good.
>
> 	dpkg does not know that a file is a document, or have any idea
>  of the information content of files in general, apart from maintainer
>  scripts. I do not think it would be feasible to educate dpkg to
>  understand what the implications of the contents of files are, and to
>  change behaviour accordingly, since there are far too many formats
>  out there.

On Oct 16th, I suggested:

 Sure, dealing with uncompressed files on upgrade is a special case.
 Sure dpkg should have to be changed, or maybe
 /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list file could have regular expressions, like:

 /usr/info/emacs-e20-2(.gz)?

This deals with your concern.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada