Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Hi,
>>"Peter" == Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

 Peter> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 Peter> I think I would have wasted my time coding this, as some have
 Peter> strongly objected to what they perceive as dpkg playing
 Peter> behind their back.

 >> I agree with you there. dpkg, or any other program, should not
 >> second guess the human this way.

 Peter> You know very well _I_ don't agree with this.  :-)
 Peter> I only said that _some_ have strongly objected... namely you!

	I meant I agree with you that some people, namely I, would
 surely object strongly ;-)

 Peter> Of course I think it's a good idea!

	What is? That programs second guess humans?

 Peter> But perhaps coding an '--handle-uncompressed-docs' that is
 Peter> disabled by default would be good.

 >> dpkg does not know that a file is a document, or have any idea
 >> of the information content of files in general, apart from maintainer
 >> scripts. I do not think it would be feasible to educate dpkg to
 >> understand what the implications of the contents of files are, and to
 >> change behaviour accordingly, since there are far too many formats
 >> out there.

 Peter> On Oct 16th, I suggested:

 Peter>  Sure, dealing with uncompressed files on upgrade is a special
 Peter>  case.

	Yes. And we should keep special cases from cluttering up the
 code, as far as possible (I have been on the maintainence of too much
 hacked legacy cource code ...)

 Peter>  Sure dpkg should have to be changed,

	Heh, heh, heh.

 Peter>  or maybe /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list file could have regular
 Peter>  expressions, like:

	The you would have to change the conflict resolution, file
 searching (dpkg -S) code, and others. This is a major change for a
 package whose bug list numbers in the thousands, and where critical
 bugs languish for the lack of time.

	Mind you, I am not cinceding that this is a good thing to do,
 I am merely averring that this added complexity is not worth the
 potential for breakage.

	manoj
--
 Peaceful of body, peaceful of speech and with his mind thoroughly
 stilled, the bhikkhu who has rid himself of attachment to the world -