Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Hi,
>>"Stephane" == Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:

 Stephane> On Saturday 17 October 1998, at 21 h 56, the keyboard of Rob Browning
 >> rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

 >> Unless you're logged in as root, you're not going to be able to build
 >> these example files inside /usr/doc (nor should you) anyway, so you'll
 >> have to copy them somewhere else.  You can run gunzip on them then and
 >> there's no problem.

 Stephane> It means that the sysadmin has to create /usr/local/doc,
 Stephane> and, foreach package, create a subdirectory in it and
 Stephane> uncompress the files in that subdirectory?  Then, after
 Stephane> each upgrade he has to do the same? After each removal, she
 Stephane> has to remember to delete the subdirectory?

	Staw man. You mean you really build all the examples in all
 packages? really? Set up a cron job to clean all /usr/local dirs
 after no mods in a month., Set up a cron job to cp -a dirs after
 changes in /usr/doc.

	In reality, one really only compiles examples in a handful of
 packages, and one can do that anywhere.

 Stephane> To me, this completely defeats the purpose of having
 Stephane> packages. I believe I'm reading the messages of Slackware
 Stephane> fans explaining that building/installing everything by hand
 Stephane> is not a such fuss.

	You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to my opinion
 of your opinion.

	manoj
--
 hacker, n.: Originally, any person with a knack for coercing stubborn
 inanimate things; hence, a person with a happy knack, later