Re: moving mutt-i from non-us to main

Alexander Koch <efraim@argh.org> wrote:

> Some time ago (can't remember any version numbers) the PGP version
> was hacked by Thomas Roessler <roessler@guug.de> right after the
> normal version came out.

> Right now Michael Elkins has a job enslaving (sp?) him to use a
> Mickeysoft OS any he doesn't have the time for much of the former
> codings any more.

> Thomas Roessler is the keeper of the source at the moment.

I don't understand, what the Author (Michael Elkins) or the current
Maintainer of the upstream version (Thomas Roessler) have to do with
us (Debian) offering their program on our US ftp servers. IMHO only
those people are responsible for export from US to the free world, who
put it on the FTP servers without restriction. So if a Debian mutt in
main is illegal according to US law, than Debian (or the owner of the
FTP servers) are responsible, not the author of the program.

It's another question, whether exporting a program, with simply calls
pgp (and parses the PGP keyring), breaks the US exporting laws.
When we mean, that this is illegal, we should move dpkg-buildpackage
to non-US, because this calls pgp, too...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
  * Internet: roland@spinnaker.rhein.de * Fido: 2:2450/42 *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF