Re: Et voila! (was: Re: Slink not installable from CDs)

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 09:10:20PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
: On 16-Oct-1998, Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@datom.de> wrote:
: > On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 02:39:38PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
: > :
: > : There is no reason why the X-Media field has to be in the Packages
: > : files on the CD -- that information could be stored by the multi-cd
: > : method when it reads in the CD info.
: >
: > ... but not, if the first CD contains all packages files (as our
: > datom/schlittermann hamm-CDs do already ... )
:
: Not true.  There just needs to be an association between packages
: file and CD label.
:
: A file in each directory that says which CD the packages are on
: would be sufficient.
:
: E.g.
: 	/.packages/non-free/Packages.gz
: 	/.packages/non-free/media		(contains "CD 2")
: 	/.packages/main/Packages.gz
: 	/.packages/main/media			(contains "CD 1")
:
: Or something like that.

Ok, and what if the the main packages are split over multiple CDs?

: > Yes, there are some drawbacks that should be solved, but probably not
: > for slink ...
:
: Sure.  You've done the work, and it will be fine for this release,
: but it's worth discussing ways we can improve on it in future.
:
: The basic scheme is fine, it's just the X-Media can be put elsewhere,
: which means the same pacakges files can be used everywhere.

We use the original packages files here, but when creating the images
the X-Media header is added.

: It would be *less* work to actually leave dpkg-scanpackages as it
: is, and just add this change to the multi-cd method.  But *more*
: work has already been done, so it isn't necessarily worth changing
: now.

    Best Regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Gruesse aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann