Re: Et voila! (was: Re: Slink not installable from CDs)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > > Heiko Schlittermann has written a new dselect installation method
> > > that supports multiple cds.[1]  The reason why he hasn't uploaded
> > > it yet is that it depends on a hax0red version of dpkg-scanpackages
> > > to support a new field for each package "CD" which contains the
> > > CD on which the package is stored.
> >
> > I have negotiated myself with Heiko, picked the package from him,
> > debugged and grok'ed it, verified it, wrote some documentation for it,
> > corrected some text, completed it with a specialized version of
> > dpkg-scanpackages, included an adjusted manpage and got Che_Fox to
> > proofread the text.
>
> I don't much care for the notion of a single master package file on the
> first CD.. I rather was intending APT to read the package files from each
> CD and use that to determine what is on which CD. (This fits with the URI

Please implement it.  Debian can only benefit from multiple ways to
interoperate with multiple binary cd-roms.

> scheme, X-Media does not) Can we perhaps have a Packages.AllCds in some
> dir that has this header and leave the normal package files with their
> normal meaning (.debs avail at that URI)

Na, we cannot!  Doing this we would mixing up free, partially free and
non-free stuff.  The user still has to be able to install a completely
free system.  If he wants to use the other parts too, that's up to him.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin