Re: Removing Packages in Slink for Debian 2.1

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 12:18:21AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Marc Singer wrote:
> > I installed it yesterday to get a glimpse at what they are doing.  I'd
> > say it should be left out because it doesn't really work.  It is a
> > fine demonstration, but it doesn't add value to Debian until it can be
> > used either a) to hack against, or b) to provide a workable desktop
> > environment.
>
> There are two big values.  a) Marketing: Debian ships with Gnome, the
> new desktop environment.  b) Publicity: Look that's *the* desktop
> environment

Well, what happens when lots of people try it, see that it is broken,
and associate Gnome with being broken and unstable?  That said, I
don't think that will happen if it is loudly declared to be *ALPHA
SOFTWARE*, and I think everyone will benefit from more copies being
distributed, and vote in favor of shipping.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org