Re: Debian 2.[01] -- Only rudimentary support for Laptops?

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 02:49:19PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:
>
>  : Hi,
>  :
>  : > I have an IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  I have found that 2.0.x kernels just don't
>  : > work properly, my machine will crash or shutdown during boot.  I believe that
>  : > the best thing that can be done to support laptops is to create boot disks
>  : > with 2.1.125 kernels.  2.1.125 works well on my laptop in every way and has
>  : > fixed the problems with RAM disks that older 2.1.x kernels had.
>  : >
>  :
>  : Sorry to jump into discussion... Well, I ABSOLUTELYU agree with Russel.   I
>  : also installed linux on IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  It's my 6-th Debian installation
>  : around and definitly the most embarrasing one.  I DO agree that ThinkPad 380XD
>  : is quite new piece of hardware, and don't want to blame anyone or anything,
>  : but perhaps we may pay closer attention to Laptop instalation problems.
>  :
>  : 1. Official booting disketes - DOES NOT work (tecra also!)
>  : 2. Official kernel 2.0.34 - DOES NOT work (constant reboot)
>
> I've got a 380Z - a zImage kernel worked for me.  Of course, there is no
> official zImage rescue disk :/

	Hmm, I'm going to have to add a negative data point here.  Debian
installed almost perfectly on my laptop (a Gateway 2300SE) right off of a
CD.  I did have to recompile the kernel for APM stuff and pcmcia
utilities, which was exceedingly painless (for me, that is, YMMV).  I also
had to get and install the NeoMagic X Server manually, but this was before
a package for it existed.

	Therefore, I don't think this is laptop installation problems in
general.  I think that this may be specific to some laptops, but not all.

-Seth

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"