Re: PROPOSAL: one debian list for all porting efforts

On Mon 12 Oct 1998, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> > > to increase communication betweenm the ports and between porters and
> > > non-porters, I'd propose a new list:
> > >
> > > debian-porting
> > > or sim.
> >
> > I fully support this proposal (The name debian-porting seems fine to me)
>
> No, we haven't enough topics for this new list.

It would be a useful way of communicating diffs that were necessary to build
a package on a given architecture (those diffs usually involve fixing some
silly packaging bug, and are then applicable to all other architectures on
which the package is to be ported).

> > IMHO, it makes sence to create a new list, since it seems 90% of the
> > Debian developers use i386 only...
>
> :-)   debian/i386 is also a port!

No. For 90% (I think more) of the packages it is the primary architecture.
The word "port" implies carrying to _another_ architecture. Hence the
package on the primary architecture is _not_ a port.

I'm thinking of using my Alpha as primary platform for my packages,
let the i386 people take care of porting them! (Although I think that
porting would never happen...)

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org