Re: [ettrich@troll.no: Re: copyright problem]

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 11:58:16AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> How about this one?
>
> I told him I would remove the first sentence but other than that it looks
> okay to me.
>
> Michael
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Matthias Ettrich <ettrich@troll.no> -----
> If we do something like this, I'd rather suggest a text like:
>
>   The GPL is often a source of missunderstanding and confusion. As we
>   understand the license, redistribution and use of LyX in source and
>   binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted without any
>   additional conditions. Even more, we would explicitely like to encourage
>   people to distribute LyX in both source and binary forms. This permission
>   certainly includes linking against GUI toolkits like XForms, Motif, GTK, Qt
>   or Win32.
>

> If that is still ok for Debian, I could live with it. Michael?

If that isn't good enough for anyone, they really need to consider why they
think it's not.  You can't get much better than that, with or without the
first sentance.

I have to ask though, why anyone in their right friggin mind would want to
port something as useful (to others, I have no need for it myself) as lyx to
something as UGLY as Motif....  <chuckle>