Re: Perl 5.005.02

On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 11:28:06AM -0400, Roderick Schertler wrote:
> On 11 Oct 1998 03:08:22 -0700, "Darren/Torin/Who Ever..." <torin@daft.com> said:
> > Andy Dougherty, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >>
> >> After some thought, I think I'd recommend that perl5.005_xx retain the
> >> same directory structure that perl5.00[34]_xx did. (with 5.005 in place of
> >> 5.00[34], of course).
> >
> > That's good enough for me.  I have boatloads of respect for Andy and his
> > understanding of Perl Install issues.  That's how it will be for
> > 5.005.02-3.
>
> I don't think Andy is taking into account your plan of allowing both
> threaded and non-threaded Perls present on the system at the same time.
>
> It seems to me that the only real problem we've got with the current
> layout is that the *.pm files for extensions which have XS portions are
> placed in /usr/lib/perl5 rather than in /usr/lib/perl5/<arch>/<version>.
> If that were changed so that such modules behaved like core modules
> (placing both *.pm and *.so in the arch/version hierarchy) then only
> modules with *.so files would need to be reinstalled when a new version
> is installed.  If this were in place previously then the recent 5.005
> install would only have broken modules with XS portions, as it should
> have.
>
> Further, if the <version> part of that didn't necessarily track
> every new version, but only changed when a new version was binary
> incompatible, that would save even more recompilation.  That is, if
> 5.006 doesn't break binary compatibility, I'd recommend that you
> continue to use /usr/lib/perl5/<arch>/5.005 rather than changing to
> /usr/lib/perl5/<arch>/perl5.006.

I would suggest using symlinks here, have the version be the first one
which was binary compatible with all binarys there, and then for the
rest just symlink the new version dirs to the old until binary
compatibility is broken..

Also, when possible, could we try to lean towards having support for
more then one version of perl installed at the same time even if
currently its not possible?

(See my preavous posts on perl on a possible way to allow having more
then one installed at the same time)

Zephaniah E, Hull.