Re: The freeze and IMMINENT 2.2.0p1!!

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 09:11:10PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 03:05:17PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > No, this would hold the release for at least two more months.
>
> Joey, that's exaggerated by a lot. But I agree with your reasoning-

I agree with Joey completely, and I don't see an exaggeration.  To take a
rule from my personal experience: nothing ever works the first time.  It
took 2.0.x more than _thirty_ patchlevels before it started working right.
Linux 2.0.0 was a disaster.

I think Debian 2.1 should be little more than a bugfixed version of hamm.
My 2.0 CD's have some serious install bugs, including a completely broken
cd_autoup script and bad X11 (xbase won't configure until you install an
Xserver, but it installs before all Xservers, which then won't work because
they try to to configure X without a working xbase...)

2.2" -- I don't think we want to be.  Red Hat was the first out with glibc,
and look at all the nastiness they went through.  Let Debian be the slow,
stable one, and learn from everyone else's mistakes.

Linux kernel 2.2 should be dropped into the new unstable distribution the
moment it's available, and we should plan to use it in Debian 2.2 -- but
let's integration-test it heavily before we drop it on the unsuspecting
public.  (That said, any Debian 2.1 user can run APT and install kernel 2.2
easily from unstable.)

Slink is a badly-needed cleanup release.  Don't hold it back for any
package.

Have fun,

Avery