Re: KDE gone, Lyx next ?

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 09:35:19PM -0700, John Lapeyre wrote:
> 	Lyx is currently in contrib.
> 	Lyx is licensed under the GPL (version 2) .  It is dynamically
> linked against a non-free library (libforms) .
> 	According to the GPL and our interpretation of it in the KDE
> statement, this means we should not be distributing (binaries at least) of
> Lyx. For instance, these binaries use .h files from libforms.

Not exactly. The big problem with KDE is not that they use GPL and have no
exception for qt. Every judge in the world would see this as a minor mistake
by non-laywers. Also this mistake cannot be enforced since it would mean not
using the software anymore. Why should they want that?

The big problem is that KDE includes GPLed code without asking and links it
against qt. That is a not legal. I wonder what RMS would do if they provide
an kemacs. :-)

Lyx on the other hand does not do that.

> 	Unlike KDE, it may be all original code, so that a single change
> of license from the developers will do.

Oops, should have read it completely. :-)

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes      | Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go SF49ers!
Senior-Consultant       | business: Michael.Meskes@mummert.de | Go Rhein Fire!