Re: PROPOSAL: one debian list for all porting efforts

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Purpose of the list would be problems with porting to new architectures,
> either package specific or general. Problems with bootstrapping a new
> architecture. Cross compilation of Debian packages. Maybe setting up some
> documents or entries in the FAQ-O-MATIC.
>
> Do you think this list would be useful or that the already existing lists can
> carry the load (namely debian-devel)?

This list is not needed and I don't consider it useful at all.

Porting problems are arch-specific and thus should be discussed in
that specific list.  General questions (e.g. using -m<bla> with
dpkg-genchanges) should be discussed on -devel.

Regarding ports to new architectures one should look into the other
lists, especially if parts of the architecture are similar.

It would not make sense for porters to not only post their mail to
the arch specific list but also to the -porters list.

Regards,

	Joey

not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth