Re: How about using bzip2 as the standard *.deb compression format?

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Joseph Carter wrote:

>> (I said)
>> I think we already went through this discussion a short while back.
>> Unless I'm missing something new, it was pretty much decided that the
>> memory overhead of bzip2 was too great for low-mem or slow PCs to handle.
>>

>It'd STILL be nice to be able to use bzip2 for package source on REALLY BIG
>packages (Mozilla, X)

very good point!  those users with slow / low mem machines are less likely
to be installing these packages anyway!  Perhaps we could compromise by
saying that anyone running these on a slow machine will be patient anyway
and can deal with the extra slowness and disk thrashing of using bzip2?

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /
 --|    oOobodoO        /   dsb3@earthlink.net