Re: How about using bzip2 as the standard *.deb compression format?

On 6 Oct 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> This is silly.  dpkg/dselect are already insanely slow, even on my
> P166 with 128 meg of RAM -- especially when reading database, etc.  If
> we slow down the installation so much more by using bzip2, then people
> will simply stop upgrading, or switch to other distributions because
> it is so slow.  That is not acceptable.

The new bzip2 0.9 (?), while not as fast as gzip, is considerably faster
than the older bzip2 0.1pl2 (??) (I can't remember the version numbers.  :-)
Considering the time saved during downloading, I would say that the use of
bzip2 would save time overall for most people.

Anthony <foka@debian.org>