Re: XEmacs, TeX, and Re: Lengthy Debian install procedures

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 03:12:23PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > Show me where, in the shipped versions of AIX, Solaris, HP-UX,
> > SGI.... (you get the picture) there exists an emacs package *or* a Tex
> > package.
>
> Well, I guess Purdue spoiled me.  They had things set up so that TeX and
> emacs were always around on all their Unices, at least on all the
> general-purpose machines I encountered.  They didn't always stay on the
> bleeding edge of the releases, but the stuff was there...

This is the point I was trying to make - 'standard' in terms of other
unixes is not the minimalistic install you get out of the box, but
more or less how it ends up.  No, it's not an easy thing to peg down,
but emacs is found almost everywhere.  We have a 'base' that is the
minimum necessary.

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org