Re: intent to package some perl/dbi/postgress stuff

Craig Sanders wrote:

> this is to announce my intention to package the following:
>
> libperl-dbd-pg     0.73   postgresql DBI driver for perl.  DBD::Pg

Which is packaged by Michel Onstein, non-maintainer uploaded by
Tom Lear, then non-maintainer uploaded by me.  Please coordinate,
I don't insist on maintaining it, I only want to use it.

> libperl-prpc     0.1005   perl remote proc module.  needed by
>                           libperl-dbd-pnet and libdbi-perl.

Doh!  I've already uploaded this guy.  However it's correct name
is libprpc-perl.  It's currently "hosed" in the incoming directory.
If you want to maintain it, drop me a line.  I just realized that
one other package that I maintain suggested it so I took it, too.

> libperl-storable  0.6.3   yet another perl data storage module.  needed by
>                           libperl-prpx, libperl-dbd-pnet and libdbi-perl.

Which is also packaged by me and the correct name would be
libstorable-perl.  It's also "hosed" in the incoming directory.
The same as above applies here.  I'm happy to maintain it since
CPAN modules doesn't make any problems normally but since I don't
use it I won't insist on maintaining it.

> libdbi-perl        1.02   latest version of libdbi-perl, includes support
>                           for dbd proxy. non-maintainer release.
>                           this one is really maintained by Ben Gertzfield
>                           <che@debian.org>

Doh, this is also packaged by me and uploaded.  I guess that it's already
installed in the proper place.  Che has handed it over to me.  This package
I use myself however I still have difficulties with it.  Anyway, I'd like
to keep it but if you insist on maintaining it, drop me a line.

> BTW, DBD::Pg works very nicely. i have been using it for several months
> but i only got around to packaging it this morning after i decided to
> start experimenting with DBD::pNET as a way of automating the conversion
> of (ack! spit!) MS Access databases to postgres (via perl on NT with
> DBD::ODBC and the DBD::pNET proxy).  I could deal with *one* non-deb
> package on my systems being in /usr/local....but 5 pieces of cruft is
> likely to lead to a mess.

Cool, what about packaging these guys?  I believe that it would be
good to include tools to make the movement from Access to PostgreSQL
as easy as possible.

Regards,

	Joey

--
There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.