intent to package some perl/dbi/postgress stuff

this is to announce my intention to package the following:

libperl-dbd-pg     0.73   postgresql DBI driver for perl.  DBD::Pg

libperl-dbd-pnet 0.1003   proxy dbd module.  DBD::pNET.

                          this one is non-free. same terms as perl
                          (GPL/Artistic) with the additional restriction
                          that you can't put it on a commercial CD-ROM
                          without permission from the author. i suspect
                          that they don't quite understand the GPL.

libperl-prpc     0.1005   perl remote proc module.  needed by
                          libperl-dbd-pnet and libdbi-perl.

libperl-storable  0.6.3   yet another perl data storage module.  needed by
                          libperl-prpx, libperl-dbd-pnet and libdbi-perl.

libdbi-perl        1.02   latest version of libdbi-perl, includes support
                          for dbd proxy. non-maintainer release.
                          this one is really maintained by Ben Gertzfield
                          <che@debian.org>

actually, i tell a lie. i have already packaged these. i would upload
them to master but i have to talk to ben about his libdbi-perl package
first. i don't want to upload a non-maintainer release.

i won't be uploading any of these until we've worked out what to do. the
only reason i'm posting this now is to tell anyone who really wants the
postgresql DBD module that they can get it from:

	ftp://debian.vicnet.net.au/debian-local/binary-i386

you'll need all of the above packages, except for the proxy dbd module.

BTW, DBD::Pg works very nicely. i have been using it for several months
but i only got around to packaging it this morning after i decided to
start experimenting with DBD::pNET as a way of automating the conversion
of (ack! spit!) MS Access databases to postgres (via perl on NT with
DBD::ODBC and the DBD::pNET proxy).  I could deal with *one* non-deb
package on my systems being in /usr/local....but 5 pieces of cruft is
likely to lead to a mess.

craig

--
craig sanders