Re: Renaming 'math' section 'science'

On 30-Sep-1998, warp@whitestar.soark.net <warp@whitestar.soark.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 03:36:48PM +0000, Rob Browning wrote:
> > Tom Lear <tom@trap.mountain-view.ca.us> writes:
> > One other option to consider would be to store all the packages in one
> > tree with paths like:
> >
> >   packages/a/p/apcalc*.deb
> >   packages/e/m/emacs20*.deb
> >
> > And then have a new field in the packages like this:
> >
> >   Package: perl-database-interface
> >   Sections: interpreter/perl, database
>
> Erm, no, this is one reason why I prefer debian over redhat for odd
> installs...

It also causes lots of problems.  Symbolic links could be
created so it looks much like the "old" system.  In fact you
could have multiple symbolic links for each section that it
fits in.

I find the "old" system to be a complete kludge now that 2000
packages are stuffed into it.  They often belong in more than
one category.  They are difficult to manage.

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net