Re: What about pam?

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 04:30:42PM -0500, Stephen Crowley wrote:
> Why is pam in slink so outdated? It's currently at version 0.57b but the
> latest on the pam page is 0.65. Any reason for this or is it just that no
> one cares?

There's not much point updating it until we decide what to do with pam.
If we pamify login/passwd, and basically everything, we should update.
Otherwise, it matters only for ppp-pam, and other (few) programs which
use it.

Apparently there are also problems with libpwdb in working "out of the box"
(so people want to use pam_unix, which precludes the use of nss_pam). Maybe
we should try to sort these out (although I'm not sure what they are).

IMHO, PAMified login/passwd would be a great advantage, since it means
things like "passwd" with LDAP authentication (or even NIS) will work no
problem for people who want to configure it that way.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.