Re: Upgrade & Kernel Problems

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 09:44:25AM -0700, Kevin Traas wrote:
> >then the screen gets blank and the system reboots.
> >
> >I have a Tecra 720 CDT and no idea where the problem could come from.
>
> This is a common problem with many laptops and desktops - in particular, the
> Toshiba Tecras.... I'm running a 740CDT and have experienced the same
> problems in the past....  I've seen lots of info that this problem exists,
> but not *why*.
>
> Solution?
>
> 1.  Download Debian's *-tecra-* diskettes and use the kernel on those.
> 2.  Build your own kernel from scratch "the hard way".  i.e.  "cd
> /usr/src/linux; make mrproper ; make menuconfig ; make zImage && make
> modules && make modules_install" ,etc....   Follow the kernel HOWTO for much
> more info....

kernel-package does all that just like doing it by hand.  You need to have a
kernel with tecra drivers in it, that's all.  What the "tecra drivers" are I
can't be sure, but you need them whatever they are.

Assuming you have edited /etc/kernel-package.conf to your liking, it just
makes kernel compiling as complex as...
	cd /usr/src/<your kernel>
	make menuconfig
	make-kpkg kernel-image

it still does make dep, make clean, make bzImage (by default), etc..  It
just then takes the Image file (z or bz) and moves it and modules into
debian/temp/... and adds a couple prefab control files, then builds a .deb
with the results..  That's all, make sense?

Try changing kernel-package to use a zImage instead of a bzImage by default.
I understand some weird machines don't like bzImage kernels though I've not
the slightest idea why not!