Re: Finding a source package

    John> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
    jgg>
    jgg> We have rather a bit of a problem.. As it stands it is not
    jgg> possible to locate the source tar.gz and .dsc without
    jgg> searching in all cases,

 There's so many packages now I end up searching using the CGI site
 or `locate' on master anyhow. :-)

    John> I also sometimes wonder about the fact that, while we
    John> encourage people to look at the source, it is in fact kind
    John> of difficult to wade through the documents to find how to
    John> get and unpack debian source files.  I hope apt-get source
    John> remedies this.

@drifting{
 It just occured to me that perhaps it would be good to have a master
 CVS archive of Debian, and the package source could be downloaded and
 installed as now, using ftp or the new `apt-get'...  I guess that
 would also perform a `dpkg-source -x'.  The source packages could
 contain `CVS' directories that would link them back to the canonical
 Debian anon ro-CVS, so folks could `cvs update' and `cvs diff'.

@offtopic{
 I've tried to build Modula 3, (thinking of the fabled `cvsup'.) but
 it bombed trying to build `m3gdb'.  I've not tried to find out what's
 wrong yet.  It's huge; I think too big for a guy on the wrong end of
 a modem connection to really do right.  I think a small team at a
 university ought to do this one.  It looks like a neat language; very
 archane syntax, perhaps, but good features, and LOTS of great example
 code to learn from.}}