Re: potential internet access loss =<

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

> Thanks Tim, I've been trying to pull some crazed solution about ssh
> tunnels and user level pop servers out of my head with helpful
> suggestions from #debian, lots of ideas but none of them as
> efficient as just sending the mail to a machine with a pop server.
> =>

I just use scp to copy the mailbox from my provider to a local tmp
file, then I append it to a local file that's in the list that Gnus
knows to check.  I use ssh to run movemail on the remote host first so
I'm sure I don't get a corrupted file, and I use some liblockfile
binaries that I created on the local host to make sure I don't get
corruption when I append locally.

With this scheme, using ssh-agent I can get my mail with no passwords
to type, and no potential snooping between here and there...

Anyone who's interested in the scripts is welcome to them.  They're
not bulletproof, but they're somewhat resistant to various points of
failure.