Re: Info sucks?

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 09:05:38PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.Arizona.EDU> writes:
>
> 	   I suppose one could ask people to spend a few hours  learning to
>    navigate info via emacs or the stand alone browser.  I don't think this is
>    reasonable, however.
>
> ``A few hours''?!  Type `info' and what do you see?  `C-h for help'.
> Type C-h, it tells you how to navigate.  Simplicity itself.  Why does
> everything have to be a web browser?

Actually, what I would prefer is something that I already know how to use.
The natural choice would be less as everyone who has used any unix for any
amount of time is familliar with the pager.  Possibly kinda like vi as far
as cursor movement goes, with some form of highlight when you move the
cursor onto a link word---even just like lynx does by telling you at the
bottom of the screen where it's going to link to.

Unix can be extremely consistant, as I discovered with my brief exploration
of vim.  I was essentially using a less that had editing features.  Info
would be much more pleasing to me if it were a less with hyperlink features.

That doesn't mean that the standard info can't be emacs-like, just that if
you expect me to use them, I'm going to put them in a format I know how to
use, and at the moment that means a web browser.

Now if only lynx were more like less, life would be perfect.  Nah, then I
would want all of these programs to support color.  =p