[Sydney Weinstein <syd@myxa.com>] Re: FW: Copyright problem with ELM-ME+

FYI:

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed Sep  9 02:57:58 1998, Kari E. Hurtta wrote,
> > Sorry to bother you again about Elm.  The below was sent to the Debian
> > developers list.  We are a bit concerned about it -- the
> > /usr/doc/elm-me+/copyright file that he mentions comes from the NOTICE
> > file.  I am observing that at the end it says it is in the "public
> > trust", but we are unsure of exactly what that means.  A clarification
> > would be appreciated.
Elm is copywritten by the Usenet Community Trust, a public corporation that
holds the rights for the software and enforces the license. Its job is to
ensure that the software is not 'misused'.

> It comes from original Elm 2.4. Perhaps authors of it can be clarify?
>
> / Kari Hurtta
>   hurtta+elm@ozone.FMI.FI
>
> -- Start of included mail From:  Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE>

> > Date:  Sat, 5 Sep 1998 12:43:22 +0000
> > To:  Debian Development <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
> > Subject:  Copyright problem with ELM-ME+
>
> > I'm slightly confused by the elm copyright as distributed in
> > /usr/doc/elm-me+/copyright.  I have extracted the newmail program
> > since it is some sort of useful and I don't want to install elm on the
> > machines.  The "problem" is that am I allowed to re-distribute it as
> > Debian package or not?
> >
> > This is what /usr/doc/elm-me+/copyright says:
> >
> > 1. You may, without additional permission from the authors, distribute
> >    Elm or components of Elm, with or without additions developed by
> >    you or by others at no charge.  You may also distribute Elm along
> >    with any other product for sale, provided that the cost of the
> >    bundled package is the same regardless of whether Elm is included,
> >    and provided that those interested only in Elm must be notified
> >    that it is a product freely available from the Elm Development Group.

ok, reiterating, if 'debian' is free, or debian is the same cost with 'newmail'
as without 'newmail', you are not in violation of the agreement.  But you must
include, in a notice, readme file, or some other doc, that the entire elm
source is available, for free, and give them a 'pointer' on how to find out
where to get it.

--
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP   Former Elm Coordinator - Current 2.4PL25
Myxa Corporation                   Current Elm Coordinator: elm@myxa.com

--- End Message ---