Re: Intent to package: ippfvsadm

Remco van de Meent <remco@debian.org> wrote:

> In the new 2.0.36pre Linux kernels, there are some changes that prevent the
> ipportfw package from working anymore.
>
> A new program has been writter by some people, called ippfvsadm. As it isn't
> clear if the current changes won't make it into 2.0.36 (release), I doubt if
> it's necessairy to include this package in the archive right now. It's been
> released under the GPL by the way, of course.

And in 2.1 kernels it is 'ipchains' that does the same thing... I finaly
found a wrapper (in the package netbase) but it was not 'in use', I had to
rename it...

Could this wrapper be made the 'original ipfwadm', which calles the correct
firewall administration program (ipfwadm/ipchains/ippfvsadm), depending on
kernel?

My TCPQuota depends on the 'ipfwadm' binary (unless I can find a way to do
the same thing in Perl, ideas anyone?). Sure, this should be up to the
admin, but can't we have the '/sbin/ipfwadm-wrapper' the 'one and only'
ipfwadm and have 'ippfvsadm' included in the netbase package instead of a
separate package, since the two others already are in netbase?

--
-- Microsoft: Do less with more.   UNIX on Intel: Do more with less. --
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just

--
$400 million in gold bullion Cocaine Mossad ammunition Uzi FBI Rule
Psix SDI BATF Noriega Albanian Peking [Hello to all my fans in