Re: Can we pull KDE?

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 01:23:06PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 04:21:44PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:

> > > It's something of a concern to me to see a free software project
> > > be so hostile towards another. We can hardly afford to be
> > > fighting.

> > I think you're over stating the case here.  The ``hostility'' you
> > mention is not really aimed at KDE as a whole.  It is specifically
> > aimed at their abuse of the GPL on two counts:

> I meant that the KDE is being hostile towards Harmony. I cannot see
> why they would go out of their way to make sure Harmony cannot
> replace Qt for them.

Woah, are you sure about that?  I think, from what I have heard, that
KDE likes the idea of harmony, but just won't do much to make it
happen, and don't really want to use it because the quality is
currently lower than Qt.  People that use Motif are not 'hostile' to
Lesstif, necessarily.

I do think that this quite openly demostrates their lack of interest
in Free Software though.  Harmony will never fly if they don't
actually say, at some point "ok, we're going to switch, and in the
process, help stamp out the bugs".

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org