Re: Suggestion for Xsession

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 07:02:42PM -0400, Jeff Sheinberg wrote:
>
> >  > I propose a small change to /etc/X11/Xsession to allow users having
> >  > ..xsession files that aren't executable. This isn't a big deal, just
> >  > a small convenience that probably would save some seconds for
> >  > many people. I suggest to change:
> >  >
> >  > Would there be any problem with this?
> >
> > Yes, What if the user's .xsession were a {C,Perl,bash} program?
>
> Digital Unix will see if .xsession is executable.  If not, it will run it
> through /bin/sh instead.  It's much more user-friendly that way...

This can be dome with some simple modifications to the /etc/X11/Xsession
script, which is the only script that is supposed to start your .xsession,
IIRC.

> Avery
>  (...who can't answer "Then why isn't .bashrc executable" in less than
>   200 words)

.bashrc isn't executable because it is sourced by bash when it starts as
an interactive shell.

.xsession is normally supposed to be a program. When this program exits,
your X session has ended and xdm logs you off (or startx ends).

Remco