Re: gnustep &c...

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 03:28:31PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	So far, so good. Ans so on. You have merely quoted the
>  standard; I fail to see where packaging GNUstep in /usr/lib would
>  violate that (move all binaries to /usr/bin/gnustep; maybe, and all
>  config to /etc/gnustep).

You are going to tag me as heretic... Could it be /usr/GNUstep? (Please note
capitalization; it's GNUstep, not gnustep) Or is X11 blessed only because of
tradition?

Also, note that /usr/GNUstep would contain *tons* of shareable components,
but in a layout that makes it hard to put it in /usr/share. My current
release of wmaker uses /usr/share/GNUstep but that's a mistake. I have
(briefly) read the gstep docs, and the layout is something like this:

	GNUstep/
		Apps/
			binaries and some sort of app specific resources
			arch independent, it would seem
		Defaults/
		Library/
			some sort of resources (non app specific?)
			definitely arch independent

GNUstep/Defaults would be linked to /etc/GNUstep/Defaults. *I* would link
(after a more careful read of gstep docs) GNustep/Library to
/usr/share/GNUstep/Library and binaries in GNUstep/Apps would have to be
moved to /usr/X11R6/bin (or /usr/bin) and put links in GNUstep/Apps, because
other programs would expect to find them there.

Please note that cApiTaliZAtion is important in GNUstep, and apps are
(usually?) called SomeThing.app (the .app thing is important). That would go
against policy (the capitalization part), or at least against something Ian
Jackson said a while ago about *not* using uppercase letters for application
names. Should we make an exception for everthing GNUstep'ish? (GNUstep'ish
== WindowMaker, currently it's not a GNUstep app)

> 	As you may. However, we could ask on the FHS list, if we
>  needed a clarification.

Yes. Please. I would like to know if a new directory under /usr is possible.
GNUstep *would* be a big system and it wouldn't be "nice" to hide it under
/usr/lib

					Marcelo