Re: Intent to package CLIPS

Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a writes:
> I guess this is "public domain", since there is no license, so this is
> DSFG-compliant and should go into main.

It isn't public domain, and there is a license:

>     Copies of CLIPS executables, documentation, and source code
>     downloaded from http://www.ghg.net/clips/download/ can be
>     freely used and redistributed without restrictions.

If there was no license it would be the opposite of public domain.

Paolo Molaro writes:
> If it doesn't allow modification it's non-free.

"redistributed without restrictions" implies the right to redistribute
both partial and complete copies.  To copyright law a modified version is
just a type of partial copy.  Thus permission to distribute modifications
need not be explicit (though it's best if it is).

In any case since the US Government is the author you can do anything at
all with it, and it can go in main.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)