Re: gnustep &c...

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Joel Klecker wrote:

> At 20:15 -0700 1998-09-01, Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:
> >with the current layout. From a technical standpoint, the GNUstep
> >directory needs to be layed out as it is to agree with the OPENstep
> >standards.
> >
> >The only real options for the location of the GNUstep directory are
> >/usr/lib/GNUstep and /opt/GNUstep. It would look kind of funny off in
> >/opt, especially since we've determined that /opt is for non-Debian
> >applications.
>
> We can't possibly have a /opt policy, since we aren't officially (i.e. as
> per the policy manual) using FHS yet. I personally don't see why we can't
> use /opt for large subsystems such as GNUstep, /usr/lib/GNUstep is wrong,
> /usr/GNUstep is wrong, /opt/GNUstep is really the only place GNUstep can be
> put both without stepping on the OPENstep standards, the FHS, or both.

Because we intend to support FHS?  That is where we should be looking,
surely, for new packages and new decisions.

Why is /usr/lib/GNUstep wrong?  It looks OK from the FHS to me.  My
reading of the FHS says that read-only, architecture-specific data should
live in /usr/lib/GNUstep, and arch-indep stuff in /usr/share/GNUstep.
Which makes plenty of sense to me.

/opt is intended for use by packages which are not part of our
distribution.  E.g. for 3rd party commercial vendors to create packages
which install straight-forwardly on pkgadd,dpkg and rpm managed systems,
they put them in /opt.