Re: gnustep &c...

On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 10:15:39PM -0500, Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:

> The only real options for the location of the GNUstep directory are
> /usr/lib/GNUstep and /opt/GNUstep. It would look kind of funny off in
> /opt, especially since we've determined that /opt is for non-Debian
> applications.
>
> I don't see anything in the FHS to disallow it, as long as any
> configuration files are moved to /etc/GNUstep with links pointing to
> that location.

And the binaries are moved or simlinked to /usr/bin...

> It would be a real shame if a project such as GNUstep could not be
> accomodated in debian, especially since GNUstep fits in so well with
> the Debian ideals otherwise. It sure would be nice if we could make a
> determination on this and "bless" some location for the GNUstep
> directory.

I agree on that. Some *very* good software will come out of GNUstep,
just give a peek at the GYVE project. It would be a shame to have
GNUstep & GYVE in contrib...

I propose to put GNUstep stuff in /usr/lib/GNUstep and symlink
to the appropriate directories. (Note that every GNUstep software
should use gstep-make to build, so it will be enough to modify
gstap-make and every GNUstep package will be automagically
compliant:)

* Federico DI Gregorio ** GCS/S/>L d- s:>:+ a26 C++ UL++ P+++ L*+++>$ D *
*   <fog@debian.org>   ** W+>++ N+ o? !K w--->!$ O M- V-- PS+(+++) PE(--)
*   Debian Developer   ** Y+(-)(+)(-)... PGP+ s+ 5- X+++ R*<+(+++) b+++ *