Re: software licensing

On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 04:27:02PM -0700, Derek Noonburg wrote:
> Ok, here's a rewritten draft of my Reasonable Software License.  As
> before, I'm interested in any comments, especially where something is
> unclear or ambiguous.
>
> Also, I'd like to make sure this license meets the DFSG.  I'm pretty
> sure it does (I wrote it with the DFSG in mind), but if you disagree,
> please let me know.
>
> The Reasonable Software License (RSL)
> -------------------------------------
[snip]
>    a. The copies must include all associated documentation:
>       i.   the README file; and
>       ii.  the man pages and/or help files applicable to program(s)
>            included in the distribution; and
>       iii. this license.
>
>    b. If the package includes modified source code or binaries
>       compiled from modified source code, all modifications must be
>       identified in the package documentation, and the modifications
>       must be publicly available as described in Section 3.

I'm not sure that this is an issue but - along with some parts of
section 3, this is unclear as to how it treats the documentation.  If
the debianized package were to move a file and want to change the
pathname in the documentation, a common enough case, how must this
change be indicated?  Is the documentation considered source code or a
binary compiled from modified source code?  I think you must explicitly
give permission to make certain modifications to the documentation.
See the unending Open Documentation thread.

Dan