Re: software licensing

Ok, here's a rewritten draft of my Reasonable Software License.  As
before, I'm interested in any comments, especially where something is
unclear or ambiguous.

Also, I'd like to make sure this license meets the DFSG.  I'm pretty
sure it does (I wrote it with the DFSG in mind), but if you disagree,
please let me know.

The Reasonable Software License (RSL)
-------------------------------------

This document states the conditions under which the Xpdf package may
be copied.  Xpdf is copyright 1996-1998 Derek B. Noonburg.

1. Anyone may distribute lists of modifications to the package, e.g.,
   patch files, as long as the modifications are publicly available as
   described in Section 3.

2. Anyone may distribute the package, including source code and/or
   binaries, under the following conditions:

   a. The copies must include all associated documentation:
      i.   the README file; and
      ii.  the man pages and/or help files applicable to program(s)
           included in the distribution; and
      iii. this license.

   b. If the package includes modified source code or binaries
      compiled from modified source code, all modifications must be
      identified in the package documentation, and the modifications
      must be publicly available as described in Section 3.

3. Modifications to the package and modified versions of the package
   may be distributed only if:

   a. all changes are clearly marked in the source code; and

   b. the source code modifications are licensed under the RSL; and

   c. all original copyright notices are retained; and

   d. the source code modifications (patch files) or modified source
      code are made publicly available in freely accessible electronic
      form, e.g., on a web or ftp site.

4. As long as all of the above conditions are met, there are no
   further restrictions on distribution medium or price.

THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

- Derek