Re: How to mirror the latest Debian tree ?

Lars Steinke <steinke@ruf.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> Obviously I'd like to get my system into a recent state to be able
> to do decent up-to-date packaging. Unfortunately my 1GB Jaz will no
> longer hold all of the binary distribution when using mirror with
> the option "flags_recursive+L" as the flattening out of symlinks
> will provide me with plenty of duplicates in binary-i386 and
> binary-all.  If I don't flatten out though, I wouldn't get the
> binaries symlinked from slink to hamm (which I need as well as I am
> using hamm Beta at the moment) so how am I to handle this ???

Well, probably the best way (though not optimal) would be to mirror
Debian at the top level, and add a bunch of exclusion/inclusion
statements.  Fmirror probably makes this easiest, but I'm having some
success with rsync now, though there are a few things I'd like to be
able to say that I can't (until it gets regexp excludes).

If you do use fmirror and you have a slow link, you need to use the
passive option (-S) right now.  This avoids a known bug.

You can just mirror /pub/debian, for example, and do something like
the following (Note that this setup only gets files that have
binary-i386 or binary-all in their path.  This means you don't get any
of the contents files, etc, or any of the needed symlinks in dists.
I'll leave setting that up as an exercise for the reader :>)

  username: anonymous
  password: someone@somewhere.org

  host: ftp.debian.org
  remotedir: /pub/debian
  localdir: /wherever

  dirmode 02775
  file_or_mask: 0664

  include: p .*/binary-i386/.*
  include: p .*/binary-all/.*
  exclude: p .*

You can't just mirror the at the level of /pub/debian/dists or you'll
have dangling symlinks.  This will be true until we kill off hamm
which is still at the top level (/pub/debian/hamm -- yuck).