Re: continued problems with 2.88 meg image

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I've often wondered if what you're trying to do is possible.  Can you
> boot a 2.88 meg CD image on a machine with a BIOS that doesn't even
> support 2.88 meg drives?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Am I really the first person to try this?

It was my understanding that the -s option on syslinux bypassed the bios
and provided its own routines.

> Can you create a 1.44 meg image using the same steps you used to create
> the 2.88 meg image, and try agin?  That should tell you what the problem
> is -- your method, or SysLinux/BIOS.  See if you can boot the resulting
> 1.44 meg image from the floppy drive, and then again from CD.

I didn't bother to burn a CD to test, but the same process (only reducing
the -s option to 18) when copied to a floppy works fine.

> Did you place a valid boot sector on your 2.88 image?  I don't think

I supposed that mformat or syslinux did that. There is certainly one on
the 1.44 meg image I built.

> any of the Linux tools will write a valid MBR.  You can copy one from a
> DOS formatted 1.44 meg disk.  (Use dd to write the first 512 bytes.)

What suggests that "Linux tools" don't write valid MBRs? The rescue
floppies are all built with "Linux tools". Why should this one image be
particular?

> These messages seem to suggest the absence of a valid floppy boot record.

But the other machine recognized the drive and image. The machine that
says "Not Found" also takes about a minute (on a 16x drive) "looking" at
the CD before it decides this. I suspect that the error drops out
differently, but for the same reasons on each machine.

I have looked at the two files, and they have slightly different boot
records, as well as the 2.88 image declaring FAT16, while the 1.44 image
is declared FAT12

This is beginning to look like a BIOS problem, as syslinux doesn't even
get started (no prompt). Probably with the bios not recognizing the drive
type of the image :-(

Know anyone with a 2.88 meg drive?

> Good luck,

It appears that I need more than I have ;-)

Dwarf