Re: No benefit for running sash as root shell?

In article <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.95q.980830173114.1764A-100000@red.csi.cam.ac.uk>,
Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>I think you're misunderstanding me.  I don't mean that we need this option
>because I've set my root shell to something silly and want to run
>something else immediately.  I suggest it because when you have gone into
>single user, it can be because something serious has gone wrong, so it is
>useful to be able to choose a different shell  - maybe root's normal shell
>is hosed, or has been deleted...
>
>Of course, init=/bin/sash does take care of this case too.  It's just a
>feature to BSD I liked.

Oh, I forget in my previous article to mention that you can also
give the "sushell=/bin/whateversh" at the boot prompt and then sulogin
will use that as a root shell.

So you can put on the LILO prompt:

Boot: linux single sushell=/bin/whateversh

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.     <*>