Re: No benefit for running sash as root shell?

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jules Bean wrote:
> > Personally, I'd actually quite like to see the *BSD model, unless someone
> > can explain to me why it's wrong.
>
> Please read the FAQ, it should be in there. Let's not discuss this again.

Fair enough.  I'll go read.

> > Another feature of *BSD that I really like in this area is that when booting
> > into single-user, or shutting down, after it has asked for your root
> > password, it lets you choose which shell to run.
>
> Create your own su-to-root if you want that. I usually do a simple
> "exec tcsh", which also works fine.

I think you're misunderstanding me.  I don't mean that we need this option
because I've set my root shell to something silly and want to run
something else immediately.  I suggest it because when you have gone into
single user, it can be because something serious has gone wrong, so it is
useful to be able to choose a different shell  - maybe root's normal shell
is hosed, or has been deleted...

Of course, init=/bin/sash does take care of this case too.  It's just a
feature to BSD I liked.

Jules