Re: No benefit for running sash as root shell?

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Joel Klecker wrote:
>
>  : At 21:32 -0700 1998-08-28, Shaleh wrote:
>  : >Actually I like this feature of BSD systems.  Would like it in Debian
>  : >too.
>  :
>  : You're forgetting that /bin and /sbin on *BSD systems are statically-linked.
>
> [ I apologise if this has been thoroughly hashed out before ]
>
> Why doesn't Debian do this?  I can see where size could be an issue, but
> I'd think the benefits outweigh those considerations ...

As a related question, I think we should ask 'why doesn't Solaris do
this?'

The Solaris engineers made the decision (I think it was on the release of
2.4/5.4) that /usr was now an essential partition, and they simply
symlinked /bin to /usr/bin. (and similarly /lib and /sbin).

I'm not proposing we follow suit, I'm just wondering what their reasoning
was (perhaps that they provided a rescue CD..?)

Personally, I'd actually quite like to see the *BSD model, unless someone
can explain to me why it's wrong.  Another feature of *BSD that I really
like in this area is that when booting into single-user, or shutting down,
after it has asked for your root password, it lets you choose which shell
to run.

Jules