Re: stable-updates now called proposed-updates

On Sat, Aug 29, 1998 at 06:09:48PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> I changed the name so that we don't incorrectly imply that those
> packages are part of stable.  I also added a README there:
>
>    Debian is committed to providing security updates to the stable
>    distribution as quickly as possible.  But we also need time to
>    thoroughly test such updates to ensure that they meet our high
>    standards.
>
>    Updates to stable are placed in this directory, dists/proposed-updates.
>    After testing, and possible bug-fixing, a new release of the stable
>    distribution is made which includes them.

I just yesterday sent Jay Treacy some stuff to put on www.debian.org
announcing the existence of stable-updates, since we were dead silent about
it (to the outside world) for a month.

*sigh*

Here's a revision for http://www.debian.org/2.0/updates .

<H1>Updates to Debian 2.0</H1>
<P>Several packages in Debian 2.0 have been updated since its release
on July 24th to reflect security enhancements and other changes too
important to leave until the next major release.
<P>Debian is committed to providing security updates to the stable
distribution as quickly as possible, but we also need time to thoroughly
test such updates to ensure that they meet our high standards.
<P>Those who wish to assist in the testing process or feel that a
particular vulnerability is too critical to wait for Debian's own testing
process may retrieve updated packages from the <a
href="ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/proposed-updates/";>proposed-updates</a>
distribution.  Those using the new package tool <EM>apt</EM> may wish
to add the following line to their <TT>/etc/apt/sources.list</TT> file
to faciliatate easy upgrades to the newer packages, changing the URI as
appropriate:
<TT>deb http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/</TT>

For the front page, I suggest simply:

s/devoted to updates/devoted to proposed updates/

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  The errors of great men are venerable
Purdue University                   |  because they are more fruitful than the