Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

On Fri, Aug 28, 1998 at 12:38:28AM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> > 	This is not windows. I would expect to see a SMTP server on
> >  any UNIX installation. The novice can still ttally ignore the server
> >  and use netscape, but we should make it easier for them to learn (why
> >  would a novice try to use Linux, unless they were willing to learn?)
>
> learning is why people want to use linux. but step by step and not 0 to 100.
> debian is a 0 to 100 system, for example you can't install many programs
> without answering configuration questions. to learn what the program is and
> how it works, you would need to read the manual first, what you can not do
> without first answering question. this is hard for learners.
>
> you also expect some mail client like elm, mutt, emacs, gnus or whatever on
> any unix installation. and these require an MTA, so you get one. you also
> expect cron on every unix installation, and cron will require an mta, so you
> get one.
>
> but debian isn't about what you think a unix should have. that way linux will
> never get to the desktop, because you are not used to work with desktop
> machines, rather unix workstations.

Policy change anyone ?

Quote:

     `important'
          Important programs, including those which one would expect to
          find on any Unix-like system. If the expectation is that an
          experienced Unix person who found it missing would say `What the
          F*!@<+ is going on, where is foo', it should be in `important'.
          This is an important criterion because we are trying to produce,
          amongst other things, a free Unix. Other packages without which
          the system will not run well or be usable should also be here.
          This does *not* include Emacs or X11 or TeX or any other large
          applications. The `important' packages are just a bare minimum of
          commonly-expected and necessary tools.

So Debian is about Unix according to Policy.

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de