Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

On 27 Aug 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> > On Aug 26, Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com> wrote:
> >
> >  >It seems like everybody agrees on switching to exim, but nothing as been
> > I don't think so.
> >
> >  >Would anyone object if I send bug reports requesting to lower smail's
> >  >priority to "extra" and raise exim's to "important" (ie: the contrary of
> >  >the current situation)?
> > Yes, I would. Please wait next month for the public release of vmailer.
>
> I've used vmailer (pre-release) and exim.
>
> My favorite is exim, because it is very configurable.  Vmailer is
> quite limited once you try to go beyond a simple configuration.

If anything that is the worst part of exim :| It's configuration format
still seems complicated to me. vmailer would be a good choice if it has
a simple configuration that doesn't need alot of sophistation to
understand. This is something I've always thought qmail did well.

I don't think that the default mailer should necessarly be the mailer that
everyone can use for everything, there is some advantage to having a
simple mailer for simple needs.

Jason