Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

md@linux.it (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Aug 26, Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com> wrote:
>
>  >It seems like everybody agrees on switching to exim, but nothing as been
> I don't think so.
>
>  >Would anyone object if I send bug reports requesting to lower smail's
>  >priority to "extra" and raise exim's to "important" (ie: the contrary of
>  >the current situation)?
> Yes, I would. Please wait next month for the public release of vmailer.

I've used vmailer (pre-release) and exim.

My favorite is exim, because it is very configurable.  Vmailer is
quite limited once you try to go beyond a simple configuration.

The big advantage I see with vmailer is that it is hopefully
impervious to attacks due to its non-monolithic, fully-chrooted
architecture.

That said, exim hasn't had many security holes, and seems to be
written in a security-conscious style (vs. vmailer's security-paranoid
style).

If I were making the decision, I'd go with exim as the default, and
give vmailer a year or so to mature.

Cheers,

 - Jim