Re: Naming of new 2.0 release

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 09:48:14PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> On 27-Aug-1998, Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 08:05:39PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > > The problem is, r1 patch CDs aren't worth much when r2 patch CDs
> > > come out -- they will have all the r1 patches plus more.  Anyone who
> > > wants a patch CD would not settle for anything but the latest (why else
> > > would you buy a patch CD if not to get the latest fixes).
> > >
> > > So you're really just going to delay the problem one revision.
> >
> > Realy?
> > We build a CD-set, after 2-3 month (or every month) we make a patch-cd with
> > all new stable packages, after 3-5 month we make a new CD-set.
>
> Yes, really.
>
> If you build one every month then the previous months patch CD is worth
> very little, because it doesn't contain a complete system, just a bunch
> of patches, which are outdated anyway.  The whole reason you would buy
> a patch CD is because it is up-to-date.  If there is a more up-to-date
> one on the market, your patch CD isn't worth much anymore.
>
> So after the first month, there's just a different problem for silver
> vendors -- outdated patch CDs.
>
> Then, when you release the new release, there are two problems --
> outdated patch CDs and outdated base CDs.

I don't belief, that a monthly patch-cd is a case for the silver vendors.

only one patch-cd between the set's are a case for the silver vendors.

and BTW: the cd-set are not outdated. You can make with the bo-cd-set a very
         nice Debian-Linux on a computer....

> > in the first case, we have only one patch-cd between the set's. no problem
> > (I prefer this case)
> > in the other case (patch-cd every month), we have no silver cd. This cd are
> > gold cd.
>
> It doesn't solve the problem of out-of-date CDs.

It does.

> It is nice in that you can get binary+source fixes on one CD instead
> of 2 or 3.
>
> However I don't think a significant number of people are clamouring
> for this problem to be solved (yet).

We (or/and the vendors) must chip the source. They must make a source CD. (see
GPL)

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer - a Debian Certified Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org