Re: Naming of new 2.0 release

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 08:05:39PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> On 27-Aug-1998, Michael Bramer <michael@weh.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> > > Not really, because the patch CD is just as expensive to manufacture
> > > make as a new CD, and the easiest way to make a patch CD is in fact
> > > to just update the CD!
> > >
> > > If the binary CD ever stretches over 2 CDs, then there is a reasonable
> > > idea.  However it's still good to let people create 2.0 rX silvers,
> > > it's just that we don't want to force them to throw out perfectly good
> > > 2.0 rX-1 silvers to do that.
> > I don't see your point.
> >
> > Our CD-Set is not only a CD. If we make a new CD-Set we must make a new
> > version of all CD's. (Binary and source). But we can make one Patch-CD with
> > binary and source for all architectures.
>
> Although technically you are correct, practically very few people
> need all architectures, and a source patch is not that vital.

I don't agree.
The new source diff.gz is vital. If the user check the patch, if the user
build his own *.deb with special options. We distribute free software and it
is vatal for debian distribute source code too!

> But we could do it, I suppose.
>
> The problem is, r1 patch CDs aren't worth much when r2 patch CDs
> come out -- they will have all the r1 patches plus more.  Anyone who
> wants a patch CD would not settle for anything but the latest (why else
> would you buy a patch CD if not to get the latest fixes).
>
> So you're really just going to delay the problem one revision.

Realy?
We build a CD-set, after 2-3 month (or every month) we make a patch-cd with
all new stable packages, after 3-5 month we make a new CD-set.

in the first case, we have only one patch-cd between the set's. no problem
(I prefer this case)
in the other case (patch-cd every month), we have no silver cd. This cd are
gold cd.

> I've CC:ed it in the reply.

ok. I see :-)

Grisu