Re: dpkg suggestion

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 Raul> Probably you'd want to exclude packages which provide executables,
 Raul> or the result would be unmanageably large.

 >> There is no easy way to do that while just looking at Packages
 >> files; the only reasonably accurrate way would be to run "file" on
 >> suspect files (those in bin, or sbin directories, and possibly in
 >> /usr/lib as well).  That solution is unmangeably slow. (I have
 >> complaints already that the pkg-nodep is too slow as it is).

 Raul> We're talking about installed packages, so /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list
 Raul> should be available [through some appropriate interface].

	And how does that help us determine if a package has
 executables? Are you suggesting we just eliminate every package with
 files in bin and sbin directories? The file permissions are not
 present in the info files. Also, What about a package that provides a
 shared library as well as an executable (the jpeg stuff does, I
 think)?

	manoj

__> dpkg -l | grep ^ii | wc -l
   1351
__> pkg-nodep | wc -l
   1041

--
 The government has just completed work on a missile that turned out
 to be a bit of a boondoggle; nicknamed "Civil Servant", it won't work